A BRIEF HISTORY OF GOOD SAMARITAN CHURCH
Fifty-three people arrived in Pinellas Park from Pennsylvania on September 20, 1910. Among them was the Rev. Wilbur A. Monks, a United Presbyterian minister who conducted the first preaching service on Sunday evening, September 24, in the partially completed Colony House, with twenty worshippers seated on planks.
In April 1911 a petition was forwarded to the Presbytery at Starke, Florida, requesting organization of the First Presbyterian Church U.S.A. of Pinellas Park, Florida. A Charter was granted and an organization ceremony was held May 27, 1911 at 7:30 p.m. with eighteen charter members.
For many years this church was the only place of worship in Pinellas Park and people of all denominations worshipped here. While it was sometimes referred to as the Community Church, it was always a Presbyterian Church.
In 1969 Dr. Harold M. Brockus became the pastor of the union church, Presbyterian and United Church of Christ. In 1971, the name Good Samaritan was chosen by the congregation to fit their renewed mission. Dr. Brockus served 33 years until his retirement in 2002. The Rev. Sue Sherwood served until 2012. Good Sam welcomed our new pastor, Rev. Jen Daysa, on June 1, 2014.